Friday, December 4, 2009

What I want from work

I've been working for 6 months now, and I've realized something. I chose to beigin my career as a reseacrh analyst, assuming I would have to write reports and make presentations after analysing data and information. I chose it because I thought I would be good at it. I am a good writer, I can pick out relevant information from a avast pool of data, I can organize it in a way that is easy to understand, and communicate it effectively in a presentation too because I've been good at public speaking too. I thought such a job would bring together my strengths and I could use it, while developing "ability to work hard" skills, and do my job well. Although I haven't had to make any presentations till now, the rest of my skills have been used A LOT. And yes, I believe I've done a good job. But, now that I think of it, although the company benefits from my already dveloped skills (that maybe got a little fine-tuned at work), how have I benefited? I know the fact that the company benefits gives me a sense of accomplishment, and I've had a platform to display my skills. But, now what? Although I don't regret making this career choice, and maybe some people may think it's good to be in a job which makes most use of your strngths, I'm not satisfied anymore. I need more.
I think I've always been attracted to things I know will be a challenge to me. For quite some time now, I thought I should do somewthing that utilizes my writing and communication skills. But now, I think I should stay away from it. Mostly because it doesn't satisfy me. Because I'm not learning anything new. well, I am to a certain extent, but not to the extent I'd want. I want to get into something which teaches me something new everyday, and where there's no fixed template to work on. being someone who loves to be organized, and thrives on fixed formats, this seems to be contrary to my nature. But, MAN! I guess I don't want that at work. It seems scary to think about getting into something that has no structure, no format, but I want that! I'd LOVE that.. And yes, I want that for the rest of my life. I know I can't choose at this age what field/ post I want to work in. But, I can choose what I want from work. And I choose uncertainty. And I choose a challenge. Something that is not in my skill set already, and something that requires me to learn something new all the freaking time. Maybe this is like a normal day of work for many of you. But it's not  for me. Atleast not in this company. I should change my company. And soon. But, I'm waiting to finish my GMAT and then try applying to some of the big consultancy firms with my high score. Hmmm...I guess I'll just have to push through these last 2months. Wish me luck.

No comments: