Friday, October 30, 2009

CP #3

Another good question. They haven't posted the answer yet.

MGMAT Challenge Problem of the Week

10/26/09
Machines A, B, and C
Machines A, B, and C can either load nails into a bin or unload nails from that bin. Each machine works at a constant rate that is the same for loading and for unloading, although the individual machines may have different rates. Working together to load at their respective constant rates, machines A and B can load the bin in 6 minutes. Likewise, working together to load at their respective constant rates, machines B and C can load the bin in 9 minutes. How long will it take machine A to load the bin if machine C is simultaneously unloading the bin?

(A)
12 minutes
(B)
15 minutes
(C)
18 minutes
(D)
36 minutes
(E)
54 minutes

I think the answer is C. I don't think my method is long, but I do think I took a little extra time to think up of the process (again, cos I doubted my concept clarity a little, and so didn't quickly start to solve it the way I was thinking...tried applying formula first, but what good is that if I don't know the concept extremely well?). I'll wait till tomm for them to give the right answer, as well as their explanation. Then I'll compare my answer with theirs. 

Edit: The OA is C.

No comments: